The annual parade celebrating the victory at Trafalgar in 1805 and memorial service for the death of Lord Nelson takes place in Madron on the Sunday nearest to 21st October . In 1805 the news of the victory and the death of Lord Nelson was brought to England by a fishing boat which had met with ships returning from the battle came into Penzance. All marched to Madron as at that time Madron was the mother church for Penzance. St Mary’s Church in Chapel Street had not been built at that time. A banner was made for the occasion. The original is still in existence and can be seen at The Penlee Museum in Morrab Road. A copy is attached to the South Wall in the Church.
This event is normally attended by a large number of local people, civic dignitaries and representatives of various services and voluntary organizations.
Civic dignitaries process to the Church from Lindathy Hall and after the service, which normally has a visiting preacher, there is a March Past by the Officers and men of RNAS Culdrose, Sea Cadets and other organizations. During the service a ‘Dirge’ is played on the organ.
The event is now well established and was founded by the Late Canon Michael Hocking a former Vicar of Madron who had served in the Navy. He died in 2013 aged 101.